2023 Winter Leadership Training Announcement & Survey
posted on November 22
Our 2023 WNCC Winter Leadership Training schedule has been released!
The Western North Carolina Conference Online Winter Leadership Training (January 23-26, 2023) is designed for and open to all local church leaders including lay leaders, council members, volunteers, and all who lead (or are considering future leadership!). This is an opportunity to connect with other leaders across the conference and learn about roles, best practices, and new ideas for ministry.
We are excited to reveal our great line-up of topics and presenters, and that Bishop Ken Carter will be our keynote speaker!
This year we sent out a survey ahead of time asking for topic ideas. About 400 of you responded and we took your lead. The sessions that are planned are in response to your feedback, and we are so grateful for your willingness to let us know how you would like to spend your time. The topics are timely and much needed, and we cannot wait to share this space and time for conversation with you all!
On this webpage (wnccumc.org/wlt2023), you will find the
schedule with descriptions and a registration link.
Registration is not required, but please take the time to register for sessions. This will help WLT facilitators and presenters prepare to best utilize the time and engage with you in the most beneficial ways possible.
We know there are so many great options that you may want to attend them all, but rest assured that they will be recorded. Choose the
topics in each breakout session where you most relate and would like to participate in conversation. Attending the session will help you participate in dialogue, watching the session later will help you glean information.
The sessions will remain posted on this page year round.
More information and Zoom links will be added to
the webpage as they are available.
Monday, January 23rd - Opening Session and Focused Leadership Breakouts
- 6:00pm - Welcome & Orientation
- 6:30pm - Breakout Sessions by District
- 7:00pm - Break
- 7:30pm - Focused Leadership Breakouts (S/PPRC, Lay Leaders, Finance, Admin. Council Chairs)
Tuesday, January 24th
- Breakout Session #1 - 11:30am-1:00pm
- Communication & Promotion in a Congregational Setting
- From Charles Wesley to Johnny Cash: United Methodist Core Beliefs Through the Lens of Music & Storytelling
- Connecting with Today’s Children & Youth
- Breakout Session #2 - 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Myth Busting: The True Standards of Wesleyan Theology Embraced by the United Methodist Church (Part 1)
- Community Engagement & The Neighbor Way
- Starting a Fresh Expression in the Outdoors
- Breakout Session #3 - 7:30pm-8:30pm
- Creative Stewardship: Embracing Fresh Ideas for Funding Local Church Ministry
- Communicating Change
- Starting a Dinner Church after COVID-19
Wednesday, January 25th
- Breakout Session #4 - 11:30am-1:00pm
- Building & Strengthening Congregational Relationships
- Single Board Governance
- Breakout Session #5 - 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Myth Busting: The True Standards of Wesleyan Theology Embraced by the United Methodist Church (Part 2)
- Next Steps for Online Worshipers
- Breakout Session #6 - 7:30pm-8:30pm
- Evangelism as Hospitality: Welcoming Strangers
- Creating Space for Critical (and Sometimes Tense) Conversations
Thursday, January 26th
- Breakout Session #7 - 11:30am-1:00pm
- Everything is Fine: Making Room for Mental Health Conversations Within Congregations
- Youth Ministry Idea Lab
- Keynote Address - 6:00pm
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you (virtually) there!